Re: where does s10 come from in ifconfig?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:52:38AM -0600, Gary Turner wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:42:59 -0800 (PST), nate wrote:
> >ifconfig sl0 down may do it too
>
> Yes, that worked.  ifdown s10 did not.

Check what you're typing. All your mails here have said "s10" (with a
one), whereas the interface is actually called "sl0" (with an ell).

Some fonts distinguish between the two characters, but some don't.

> Went to dselect, found it and one or two other unneeded apps and purged
> 'em.  The routes and interfaces cleaned up nicely.  Had to reboot to
> make it work, but now I'm back on line. (As I think about it there's
> probably a way to rerun init's or something.)

Yes, just run the script, usually with the argument 'restart'. Scripts
in /etc/rcS.d may have to be run slightly differently.

Cheers,