Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

on Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 11:08 AM +0100, martin f krafft (madduck@madduck.net) wrote:

> > Note three, that the FHS _doesn't_ proscribe inclusion of additional
> > mount points, directories, etc., at root (/).  It merely speaks to those
> > directories which are required or optional.
>
> section 3.1:
>
>        Software must never create or require special files or
>        subdirectories in the root directory.  Other locations in the FHS
>        hierarchy provide more than enough flexibility for any package.
>
> enough?

Hmmm...

So is apt out of FHS compliance by defaulting to a dependency on /cdrom
for the apt-cdrom method?

Note that *software* cannot create or require special files or
subdirectories off /root.  System admins can.  The software should be
configured such that the local preferences are respected.

Given the mutually conflicting directives of the FHS (don't
create/depend on files in /, don't define /mnt), it seems that there is
a need to specify policy concerning removeable storage for a given site
and ensure that software responds accordingly to it.

> to address your point about having 100 CDRs, i think it is commonly
> accepted that we *need* a subdirectory for mountable media, but using
> /mnt for that is overusing /mnt and it's strikes me as a convenience
> fix, as a quick 'n' dirty method.
>
> instead, i really think that we need a /media hierarchy. and from what i
> can tell, that's the current state on the fhs-discuss mailing list.
> /media for all kinds of removable media, a subdirectory for each
> therein, and /mnt as a temporary mount point, and nothing more!

I disagree with this, on the basis of some experience with OpenBSD.
Under OpenBSD, various network interfaces are specified by the type of
device, specific to a level greater than that specified by GNU/Linux.
It's not quite driver level, but it is a driver superclass, best I can
tell (see http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Setup).  This creates a
level of indirection when discussing networking -- it's not sufficient
to specify eth0, you have to determine if the card is Intel-based, or
one of several other cards, before you can do, or diagnose, network
configurations.

Device-level specifications of media should be left to /dev or devfs.
Conventions for specifying what you've attached temporarially and where
should be left, largely, to the local system.

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org