Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

also sprach Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2002.01.21.0229 +0100]:
>     This directory is provided so that the system administrator may
>     temporarily mount a filesystem as needed.  THE CONTENT OF THIS
>     DIRECTORY IS A LOCAL ISSUE AND SHOULD NOT AFFECT THE MANNER IN WHICH
>     ANY PROGRAM IS RUN.

granted, i did not even see this clause. nevertheless, it is precisely
the sentence you emphasized which speaks against having /mnt/floppy and
/mnt/cdrom created/installed/used by Debian.

> Note too, from a system management perspective, use of /mnt gives a
> single point of control for issues such as backups, which one presumably
> would not make of temporarially mounted, removeable, storage.

yes. i'll get to that.

> Note three, that the FHS _doesn't_ proscribe inclusion of additional
> mount points, directories, etc., at root (/).  It merely speaks to those
> directories which are required or optional.

section 3.1:

       Software must never create or require special files or
       subdirectories in the root directory.  Other locations in the FHS
       hierarchy provide more than enough flexibility for any package.

enough?

to address your point about having 100 CDRs, i think it is commonly
accepted that we *need* a subdirectory for mountable media, but using
/mnt for that is overusing /mnt and it's strikes me as a convenience
fix, as a quick 'n' dirty method.

instead, i really think that we need a /media hierarchy. and from what i
can tell, that's the current state on the fhs-discuss mailing list.
/media for all kinds of removable media, a subdirectory for each
therein, and /mnt as a temporary mount point, and nothing more!

"i'm always frank and earnest with women.
 uh, in new york i'm frank, and in chicago i'm ernest."
                                            -- the long kiss goodnight