RE: locale not set properly

On Tues 22 Jan 2002 21:13 EDT, "Colin Watson" wrote:

> > Whenever I "man foo" I get this error:
> >
> >   (null): can't set the locale, make sure $LC_* and $LANG
> are correct
>
> This means that the setlocale() call failed. (I added this
> because it made it *much* easier to track down certain kinds
> of problems.)

I wish I knew what I'd done to screw this up.  This is the first time in
several recent Woody installations that it happened.  Only thing I can
think of is selecting both ISO-8559-1 and UTF-8 at the same time.

BTW, whatever was wrong also gave this unruly behavior...

  perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
          LANGUAGE = (unset),
          LC_ALL = (unset),
          LC_CTYPE = "",
          LANG = "en_US"

In any case, "dpkg-reconfigure locales", as suggested by Tatsuya
Kinoshita, did fix both of these issues.  Now, I still have those same
empty values for LC_CTYPE and LC_ALL, but they don't seem to have any
adverse effect.

Thanks guys!

Jeff Bonner