Re: A cups printing setup question

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:24:51AM -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
| Given a woody machine pritning to a locally atached printer via cups, and a
| remote machine with cups installed.
|
| How do I setup the rmote machine to access the printer on the machine that
| hosts the printer?

Which protocol do you prefer? ;-)  (I'd choose IPP myself, but cups
can handle lpd and smb as well)

| I'm using the web based setup on port 631, and I can't seem to get it to
| work. My major area  of confusion is when I get to the screen to specify
| the path to the printer. I've been trying somethign like:
|
| ipp://localmachine:631/printer_que
|
| But I'm not getting it to work.

You want

ipp://remote_machine/printer_name

In the URL you have to tell CUPS which machine is actually going to
handle the requests.  If you're using IPP (or anything other than
parallel or serial) it isn't going to be the local machine.  (note
that specifying port 631 is superfluous because ipp is defined as
naturally using port 631)

HTH,
-D

                                     .... what McDonald's is to gourmet cooking