Re: apt-get mutt ?????

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 07:59:18AM +0200, Theo Bierman wrote:
| Hi All
|
| I have been struggling to get mutt installed on my 2.2r3 poptato system.
|
| When I run apt-get install mutt it works fine however when I go into
| it the cursor just flashes and nothing else works. I then read
| somewhere that the followingf needs to be installed:
|
| ncurses and
| slang

You need those libraries, but the packages are called :

libncurses5    5.2.20010318-3 Shared libraries for terminal handling
ncurses-base   5.2.20010318-3 Descriptions of common terminal types
ncurses-term   5.2.20010318-3 Additional terminal type definitions
slang1         1.4.4-7        The S-Lang programming library - runtime ver

| A normal apt-get on either of these did not work

If apt-get fails, find out why.  In this case it is because you had
the wrong package names.

(BTW, mutt should depend on the necessary libraries and shield you
from needing to know the names of them)

| so I then downloaded the tar.gz and ran it like that. Both installed
| no problem.

Now you're in unchartered territory.  If you install from the source,
it is up to you to ensure all dependencies are met and to give all the
proper configure options.

| I need mutt with ssl support

run "apt-cache show mutt | less".  The non-US version has SSL support
in it, the other one doesn't (stupid legal issues).  You'll also see
in the Depends: line that libncurses5 will be taken care of too.

| so I tried to do an apt-get openssl which worked fine.
|
| Here is where the problem came in. Because mutt did not function
| after apt-get install mutt I donwloaded the latest
| mutt-1.3.26i.tar.gz.

Actually, 1.3.27 was released today.  The announcement mentioned an
SSL seg fault.

| Then I ran the following
| ./configure --enable-pop --enable-imap --with-ssl
| and I got this error:
|
| checking for X509_new in -lcrypto... no
| configure: error: Unable to find SSL library
|
| I then donwloaded the latest openssl, the install went fine but
| still the same error

You need the -dev package to get the headers.

| I have managed to sort out mutt itself now, seems to be running fine
| however I don't think it has the ssl support.
|
| I have tried to run apt-get install openssl-dev but then I get this error:
|
| apt-get install openssl-dev
| Reading Package Lists... Done
| Building Dependency Tree... Done
| E: Couldn't find package openssl-dev

$ apt-cache search openssl dev
sendmail - A powerful, efficient, and scalable Mail Transport Agent.
libssl-dev - SSL development libraries, header files and documentation

Apparently the name of the package is "libssl-dev".  Learn to use
apt-cache, it is your friend :-).

Just try the pre-packaged version of mutt.  I've had no problems with
it (though I don't need SSL).  If you really want to build it from
source, get 1.3.27 or you might get a seg fault :-).

-D

not sure about the former.
        Albert Einstein