Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

martin f krafft wrote:

> also sprach Aaron Traas <adt6247@njit.edu> [2002.01.21.2159 +0100]:
> > Why don't we borrow an old tradition: voluntary tithe. For Debian users,
> > a suggested donation schedule could be made, such as $2.00 USD per
> > month, per Debian box if apt-get (or deselect, etc.) was used in that
> > month. We could make an application called tithe-manageter or titheman
> > or something, and enable you to set it up on any/all of your debian
> > boxen, that keeps track of things like dist-upgrades. It would allow the
> > user to set his/her own tithe amounts per whatever common action the
> > user wishes to tithe, and optionally store the user's credit card
> > numbers for automated/manual uploads to tithe.debian.org, so it will be
> > easy and seamless to donate.
>
> one of the major reasons i enjoy (note: not use) Debian and Linux and
> free software in general is because i don't have to worry about money
> issues, whether on the receiving or giving side. it's such a relief from
> every day, where it seems as if you can't do jack but be in love without
> money (and hey, if you are on the male side of things, you can't even do
> that ;^>. okay, not true. you can't date. that's what i meant.)
>
> > This would make it simple/automatic to periodically donate small amounts
> > of cash, for anyone who is too forgetful to do so on a regular basis. At
> > the same time, it would be an entirely opt-in thing, so people who do
> > not have the money/do not wish to donate/put in 80 hours a week
> > maintaining packages are not forced to do so.
>
> this is the only good aspect, but why do it that way. people need to get
> over the herde mentality. if you have money around and you appreciate
> debian, send a check to one of the main people. i am sure there's an
> actual address for donations, but my browser is too many desktops away
> right now. in any case, i certainly wouldn't keep the money but make
> sure to get it to the right place, and i am sure that most other core
> people (i am actually so not a core person) would do the same. if you
> don't have cash to spare (like me), then donate time. employment = time
> = money = donation. unemployed = time = donation. why take the extra
> step ;).
>
> what i don't understand is why people always need other people to go
> along. are you scared to be on your own when facing debian's treasurer?
> i'll hold your hand. are you to insecure, or more talk then action? then
> here's a tip: take out your checkbook, write on it the amount, sign it,
> send it off to ben, or karsten, or colin, or matt, or brian, or
> henrique, or me, or the debian treasurer. if you are unsure as to what
> amount to use, reflect a while and use `date "+%s"` as a guidance. `echo
> $RANDOM` will do too. but don't look around you to see if someone else
> will do it too. and afterwards, don't feel like you've been cheated
> because you paid and everyone still profits from debian without having
> given a pence. noone forced you.

The fourth item in the About menu of the Debian home page concerns
Donations to Debian. Those who have a mind to, can contribute money now.
Voluntary donations are a part of many cultural traditions. I think
almost everyone who has contact with Debian also has contact with one or
another of these cultures. I think that if each of use gave to Debian a
contribution that amounted to a few percent on a annual basis of what we
each spend on computer related stuff, less than the sales tax in many
states in the US... if we all did that Debian would be overwhelmed with
money. But please keep it a suggestion, not a rule. And please don't
worry about issues of enforcement, and certainly don't get into
discussions of "fairness".

And lets not try to soak the marketers of Debian CDs. The prices they
charge cannot handle the overhead of a mandatory payment to the Debian
organization. Some would raise their prices to cover the cost, which is
not in the best interests of the larger Debian cause, IMO.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@quiknet.com