Re: a modest proposal - Debian needs more $

<quote who="Adam Majer">

> Have you ever tried ftp.redhat.com? Commercial... 0 bandwidth.
>
> 10-20 is still not bad - remember the days when it cost per hour
> and you got 3 kb/s and disconnected all the time?

redhat. ugh. their mirror system is so broken and their
bandwidth so out of whack its not funny.  though they
do have a "premium" service(at least its advertised
on the default 6.2 install), it probably has much
more b/w available.

as for per hour
costs.. that must've been before my time ..i got on the net
in '94(lived overseas) and from day 1 had unlimited access.
though 3kb/s would of been good back then i shared a 128kbps
pipe with about 400 other concurrent users, so was lucky
to get .5kb/s. there was a cost per phone call though.
so if i got disconnected a lot the phone bill went
way up(it was already up due to BBS usage though)

porn at .5kb/s IS NOT FUN
:)

as far as pay downloads go, they could be done via either
IP access(all my systems have static ips and forward/reverse
dns setup), password protected proxy(may require some mods
to apt), or better yet a password protected http server(again
probably needs mods to apt ..). give a flat rate fee for
access. i don't download much, i do an upgrade once a month
at the most. or best of all downloads via SSL from a server
with a signed certificate(probably would require a lot of
mods to apt)

i just gotta get my shit together and read up on how
to make a local mirror then i won't have any more
problems.

nate