ESD is acting ornery under kernel 2.2.19

Hello everyone,

I sat like a fly on the wall through the recent discussions on compiling the kernel the "Debian way."  Thanks to you, I managed to get some information, find my way to some HOWTOS, went off and compiled 2.2.19 in place of my old 2.2.l0 kernel.   Everything is up and running, including my modules.

Now, there is just problem I noticed.  Esound is acting onery. Under Gnome, things run okay, but if I really throw a load at ESD, such as execute a sound-intensive program like Rocks and Diamonds, Gnome freezes.  If I do the "top" commmand, I notice the esd daemon munching up my CPU and grinding Gnome to a halt.  Just to make certain, I rebooted back under my old 2.2.10 image.  No problem with ESD there.

If it helps to know, when I compiled the new kernal, I include my C-Media sound driver into the kernal as opposed to modularizing it.  I don't know if that makes much of difference.  I think my doing so has actually helped sound performance in other programs.

If you have any suggestions for making ESD behave in Gnome, or maybe an idea of why it is so fidgety, please let me know. Thanks.

By the way, I'm running potato at 2.2r3 level.

Terry
inboard@mail.com

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup