Re: cd-writer question

David Csercsics(kajarii@shaw.ca) is reported to have said:
> I need some help here. I've just about got my hardware setup but I'm not
> sure how to configure a couple things. I put in the SCSI emulaton i my
> kernel because you supposedly need it to make an IDE CD-Writer to work. My
> CD-Writer is on /dev/hdd so how woudl I make the ide-scsi driver get loaded
> instead of the normal ide cdrom driver.

I assume that you have read the CD Writing HowTO, because you do have
to do more then just do SCSI emulaton in the kernel.  That said,
here is how I tell the system where the cd & cdrw are (in lilo.conf)

    append  = "apm=on apm=power-off idebus=66 hdb=ide-scsi \
               hdc=ide-scsi max_scsi_luns=1"
in  /etc/fstab:
/dev/scd0   /cdrom      iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto     0   0
/dev/scd1   /cdrw       iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto     0   0
with approiate sym linls to /dev/hdb and hdc
ie: ln -s /dev/hdb /dev/cdrom , ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrw

One question per paragraph is easier to read.

> Also how the heck do I get my
> printer tow work. I've got an hp deskjet 940C here that according to
> linuxprinting.org is supported by the hpijs driver. I installed this but I'm
> not entirely sure what to do after that as the howto was a bit fuzzy. The
> lpr command doesn't appear to work yet so you obviously have to do something
> else....what I'm not sure though.
Look in /usr/src/<your-kernel>/Documentation for ref's to printer.
You have to enable printing in the kernel and parport if you are using
the parallel interface.

Also read the Printing HowTo which will give you a clue to 'some'
things that have to done.  Last time I checkes that Howto was a bit
outdated.  Also do a search on Google for  Linux "printing".  You'll
have more answers that you can read in a day.

> Also my printer has a parallel port and a
> usb port which one woudl be better to use or does it matter? Thanks for your
> help. :) Hopefully this is the last of my dumb newbie questions for now. I'm
> trying to figure this out though at least. So I guess that counts for
> something. :)

Don't know as I have never had a USB printer.

--
Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers.