cd-writer question

I need some help here. I've just about got my hardware setup but I'm not
sure how to configure a couple things. I put in the SCSI emulaton i my
kernel because you supposedly need it to make an IDE CD-Writer to work. My
CD-Writer is on /dev/hdd so how woudl I make the ide-scsi driver get loaded
instead of the normal ide cdrom driver. Also how the heck do I get my
printer tow work. I've got an hp deskjet 940C here that according to
linuxprinting.org is supported by the hpijs driver. I installed this but I'm
not entirely sure what to do after that as the howto was a bit fuzzy. The
lpr command doesn't appear to work yet so you obviously have to do something
else....what I'm not sure though. Also my printer has a parallel port and a
usb port which one woudl be better to use or does it matter? Thanks for your
help. :) Hopefully this is the last of my dumb newbie questions for now. I'm
trying to figure this out though at least. So I guess that counts for
something. :)