Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

On Monday 21 January 2002 02:08 am, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com> [2002.01.21.0229 +0100]:
> >     This directory is provided so that the system administrator may
> >     temporarily mount a filesystem as needed.  THE CONTENT OF THIS
> >     DIRECTORY IS A LOCAL ISSUE AND SHOULD NOT AFFECT THE MANNER IN WHICH
> >     ANY PROGRAM IS RUN.
>
> granted, i did not even see this clause. nevertheless, it is precisely
> the sentence you emphasized which speaks against having /mnt/floppy and
> /mnt/cdrom created/installed/used by Debian.
>
> > Note too, from a system management perspective, use of /mnt gives a
> > single point of control for issues such as backups, which one presumably
> > would not make of temporarially mounted, removeable, storage.
>
> yes. i'll get to that.
>
> > Note three, that the FHS _doesn't_ proscribe inclusion of additional
> > mount points, directories, etc., at root (/).  It merely speaks to those
> > directories which are required or optional.
>
> section 3.1:
>
>        Software must never create or require special files or
>        subdirectories in the root directory.  Other locations in the FHS
>        hierarchy provide more than enough flexibility for any package.
>
> enough?
>
> to address your point about having 100 CDRs, i think it is commonly
> accepted that we *need* a subdirectory for mountable media, but using
> /mnt for that is overusing /mnt and it's strikes me as a convenience
> fix, as a quick 'n' dirty method.
>
> instead, i really think that we need a /media hierarchy. and from what i
> can tell, that's the current state on the fhs-discuss mailing list.
> /media for all kinds of removable media, a subdirectory for each
> therein, and /mnt as a temporary mount point, and nothing more!

i agree, and thanks for returning the focus to the original issue, that /mnt
should be available only for temporary use.

regardless of how "microsoft" it may sound to karten, in my particular case,
my needs are amply served by /floppy, /cdrom, and /cdrom1 on the root
filesystem. in the event i might develop a need to cater to 100 cdr's--and
given that such need would unlikely be temporary--i would certainly be
looking for a /media directory subsystem as a solution, and not /mnt.