debconf/whiptail problem

I recently attempted a large apt-get update then upgrade on my woody
box.  It wanted to upgrade about 125 packages, and everthing was going
smoothly until is was pre-configuring (I think) ssh.  When it tried to
bring up the screen (using whiptail) asking if I wanted to install ssh
suid, it got as far as making the entire screen blue, but never finished
rendering the screen.  The CPU remained idle, but that terminal would
not accept any input other than ^c, cancelling that configuration.  Some
other packages did configure properly, even some with that same style
dialog, but 20 or so will not configure because I cannot answer
debconf's questions.  This is of course a problem, because my
installation is a little broken right now.  While I may be able to
reconfigure debconf to not use whiptail (though not with
dpgk-reconfigure, because debconf tries and fails to use whiptail to ask
questions about its own configuration), this is certainly not the
intended behavior, and I would not mind knowing why it is not working.
-Conor