Re: How to set up my LAN

Nori Heikkinen declaimed:
> hi,
>
> i don't know much about networking, but ...
>
> on Fri, 04 Jan 2002 05:24:00PM +0100, alok.menghrajani@epfl.ch insinuated:
> > Should I reinstall my machine using dselect, or can I remove the
> > stuff I don't want with dselect ?
>
> dselect works (run as root), or
> apt-get remove [package name].
>
> don't reinstall the whole thing!!

I'm gonna duck the LAN issues. You can do this, but you do need 2 NICs
in the Linux box and they have to work. Check out the latest
IP-Masquerading HowTo doc. It's actually easier to set up (and no less
secure) to use the Linux box as a router instead of a proxy.

Regarding telnet/ftp:
1. For access from outside into your home network, just don't do it. Use
ssh (encrypted telnet-like tool) and scp (encrypted file-transfer tool)
instead. Just install the default ssh packages. You can get free ssh/scp
client software on the web for Mac/Win very easily. I use PuTTY on
Windows, very nice.

2. For inside your network, say, if you really want to use ftp instead
of scp because it'll let you browse directories, transfer multiple
files, etc.  pick the ftp server you most want to learn, but
configure it so that the server will only connect on the local side of
the network. After being hacked through wu-ftp twice in one week (a
RedHat system of course, just one of the reasons I moved to Debian) I
gave up and bought a Link-Sys router, but you can do what you want
safely if you're careful.

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney       |   Another look at Sept 11
paul@mackinney.net   |   http://www.copvcia.com/