How to set up my LAN

Hi,

I'm pretty new to linux, and I have just installed debian. I have got
3 computers at home, and I want one of my machines to act as a server
for the other two. Basically I want a proxy server and ftp server
running on the machine with debian. I have two types of connections
ppp and permanent (I haven't yet got my cable modem so I'm still
with ppp for a couple of weeks).

I have been able to install debian with the ppp support (i used pppconfig
and then pon, plog and poff). I also installed blackbox as an xserver.
But I just can't get my ethernet working. I have a 10/100 switch and
trendnet ethernet cards. I have got a linux diskette for the ethernet
card but I can't compile the makefile. I get the following error:
linux/modversions.h: No such file or directory.

I also don't know which ftp server I should use.

At first I installed debian with the simple method (I selected the
tasks that interested me). But a lot of stuff doesn't interest me, eg:
wvdial (because I'm using pon), or the news/email reader, lynx, etc...
Should I reinstall my machine using dselect, or can I remove the
stuff I don't want with dselect ?

Here is how I had planned to configure my system, could you
please advise me if this is the right way things should be done :

1) Win98, name: alok, ip: 192.128.1.2, will be used for
my daily work.
2) Portable with winXP, name: pareesa, ip: 192.128.1.3, will be used by
my sister and me.
3) debian, name: server, ip: 192.128.1.1, will be used to backup and
share data between the two previous computers and also to share the
internet connection.

Thank you very much,
Alok.

This mail sent through IMP: imapwww.epfl.ch