Re: Mail Client Help

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 03:44:23AM +1000, James wrote:
| Please reply to gnudev@ozemail.com.au because I don't have this email
| address subscribed to the list, and I can't check my subscribed address
| without messing anything up at the moment.
|
| I am having trouble finding a mail client that can do these things:

Some of these features are not part of what a mail *client* should do.
This is Unix -- use many programs, each that does a part of the whole
job.

| - Allow more than one identity, and to choose what identity is used when
| composing and replying to mail

mutt

| - Choose a different SMTP server for each identity

SMTP is an MTA thing.  Many clients (like mutt, pine, elm, gnus, etc)
just pipe the message to the MTA.  You can set up your MTA (exim at
least) to use a different smarthost for each "identity".

| - Filter mail on Subject, From, X-Loop, X-Been-There and the body of the
| mail

exim or procmail

| - Allow to bounce HTML messages
| - Allow to bounce spam to sender

spamassassin and exim or procmail

| - Check all identities' email accounts separately as well as all at once

fetchmail

| - Put each identity's mail in separate inboxes

exim or procmail

I use exim for mail remote delivery (SMTP), receiving my mail (I have
my school account forward directly to my debian box, if you're on
dialup use fetchmail) and for filtering.  exim runs all mail through
spamassassin which tags spam messages.  Then my filter checks for the
tag and throws the message in the junk folder (just so I can check for
false positives).

| Mutt is way too hard to use and I can't figure out the command to set it
| up anyway. I type ? for help and I see nothing about setting it up.

Of course -- when you type '?' you'll get information about commands
for _using_, not configuring, mutt.

| How do I write muttrc files?

$EDITOR ~/.muttrc

<grin>

If you want mine for an example I'll send it to you.

| Is this what I need to set it up the way I want it?

Pointers to mutt's docs have been given.  The docs are very good,
though sometimes a little too terse.  If you run into something that
is too terse for your current experience level, don't hesitate to ask
what it means.

-D

--

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure;
I am clean and without sin"?