Re: Mail Client Help

On 21/01/02 James did speaketh:

> I am having trouble finding a mail client that can do these things:
> - Allow more than one identity, and to choose what identity is used when
> composing and replying to mail
> - Choose a different SMTP server for each identity
> - Filter mail on Subject, From, X-Loop, X-Been-There and the body of the
> mail
> - Allow to bounce HTML messages
> - Allow to bounce spam to sender
> - Check all identities' email accounts separately as well as all at once
> - Put each identity's mail in separate inboxes
>
> Mutt is way too hard to use and I can't figure out the command to set it
> up anyway. I type ? for help and I see nothing about setting it up. How
> do I write muttrc files? Is this what I need to set it up the way I want
> it?

    man mutt
    man muttrc
    http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/
    http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/
    http://www.mutt.org/links.html#config

    There is no lack of documentation. Also, in the .deb package, hitting F1
should bring up the manual. It's not that hard to set up.

    As for multiple user ids, you can set values based on certain hooks, so it
really depends on how you want to use these multiple ids. If you want to use
them depending on whom you send to, you could configure send hooks to change
your return address based on that.
    Mutt does not deliver mail, so from there using multiple smtp servers
depends on your MTA (I'm using Exim, but there are plenty of others). I've
never tried sending to different smtp servers based on the sender, but I'm
sure it's possible. Why do you want to? Is this a case of having to
authenticate to different ISP's servers based on your return address?

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@mcss.mcmaster.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix