Re: Trying to setup modules with modconf

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 01:39:56PM -0700, debian@xtremedev.com wrote:
| I'm following the online FAQ on building my own kernel, so far I've dpkg
| --install'd my custom kernel after a make menuconfig, and am now at the
| part where I'm suppose to run /usr/sbin/modconf to setup what modules I
| want to have loaded on boot. But when I tried to run it as root without
| any arguments (to go into GUI mode), all it does is dump me back to the
| shell prompt, and turn the background blue and remove my cursor. Screwing
| up my tty basically, and I can't clear it without a reboot.

Have you tried typing "reset" or switching to a different tty and
killing the shell on the first?

| Has anyone else run into this issue?

No, I don't use modconf after the install is complete.

| Or more importantly how to resolve it? Is there another way of
| setting up modules in Debian I should know about besides modconf?

Use your editor and edit /etc/modules.  It is a flat list of modules
names, one per line, of modules you want loaded at boot time.

-D

--

A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time