Trying to setup modules with modconf

I'm following the online FAQ on building my own kernel, so far I've dpkg
--install'd my custom kernel after a make menuconfig, and am now at the
part where I'm suppose to run /usr/sbin/modconf to setup what modules I
want to have loaded on boot. But when I tried to run it as root without
any arguments (to go into GUI mode), all it does is dump me back to the
shell prompt, and turn the background blue and remove my cursor. Screwing
up my tty basically, and I can't clear it without a reboot. Has anyone
else run into this issue? Or more importantly how to resolve it? Is there
another way of setting up modules in Debian I should know about besides
modconf? Thanks in advance.