/etc/resolve.conf

Hi,

I am a real newbie and just joined this list.  I decided to try Debian
2.2.19 but finding it a bit hard to configure everything.  When I first
installed it, no cards were detected.  Since then I have been able to load
modules to get my sound card to work but can't seem to get my network
running.

I have tried the newsgroups with a little success but now I need a real
Debian expert.

I have modified my /etc/modules file and added the module tulip.
With this I can ping both machines.  My Linux machine will ping my windows
machine and vice versa.

That's it.  What I want to achieve is to get my packages direct from the
Internet.  Currently I have to download them on my windows machine, copy
them to my cd and install using dpkg -i.  Long term would be to get rid of
windows but that is a long way aways.

My windows machine is connected to the Internet via dialup.  My Linux
machine is on the network.  It can dual boot windows or Linux.  Using
dselect I have set up the access but when I do the update I get errors like
Could not resolve, Failed to fetch etc etc.

Can someone help?  What do you need to know?  I have read a lot of Howto's.
One think I think is strange is I don't have /etc/resolve.conf
Is this normal?

Thanks in anticipation

Cheers Al