Re: Init scripts

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002 14:49:22 -0500 (EST) "Timothy C. Fanelli" <fanelltc@clarkson.edu> wrote:
> Hey All --
>
> Ok, so I'm a debian-newbie... switching over on my laptop from Slackware,
> mainly because I want to start playing with the GNU/Hurd and I needed a
> cross compiler. I've been interested in learning Debian for a while, and
> since Debian has the cross compiler pre-packaged, I figured nows a good
> time :).
>
> So here's my problem --
>
> I like to have total control over whats starting up in my init scripts...
> specifically, i DO NOT want to be running inetd. Also, dhclient doesn't
> work, so I use dhcpdc instead, but I can't find where in the scripts
> dhclient is ever being called...
>
> What i've figured out is that all the scripts reside in /etc/init.d and
> are symlinked to out of the /etc/rcX.d directories... What I can't figure
> out is which scripts startup things like inetd and dhclient etc etc...
>
> Can anyone either point me in the direction of, or send and explanation
> of, the init scripts and what they do?

You have just as much control w/ SysV-style OSs as w/ BSD.  It's
just in different places.

On my woody box, dhclient is called automagically from within
/etc/network/interfaces.  Here's the file from my firewall:
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback

  auto eth0            # <<< here it is.
  iface eth0 inet dhcp

  auto eth1
  iface eth1 inet static
	address 192.168.1.251
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255

Likewise:
  /etc/rc3.d/S20inetd -> ../init.d/inetd

And:
  /etc/rcS.d/__S41dhcp-client -> ../init.d/dhcp-client

Note that I diabled the explicit dhclient startup, since it happens
automagically from /etc/network/interfaces.

The files may be numbered a little differently on your box.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |