Init scripts

Hey All --

Ok, so I'm a debian-newbie... switching over on my laptop from Slackware,
mainly because I want to start playing with the GNU/Hurd and I needed a
cross compiler. I've been interested in learning Debian for a while, and
since Debian has the cross compiler pre-packaged, I figured nows a good
time :).

So here's my problem --

I like to have total control over whats starting up in my init scripts...
specifically, i DO NOT want to be running inetd. Also, dhclient doesn't
work, so I use dhcpdc instead, but I can't find where in the scripts
dhclient is ever being called...

What i've figured out is that all the scripts reside in /etc/init.d and
are symlinked to out of the /etc/rcX.d directories... What I can't figure
out is which scripts startup things like inetd and dhclient etc etc...

Can anyone either point me in the direction of, or send and explanation
of, the init scripts and what they do?

Thanks much!
Tim Fanelli

Clarkson Universiry