Re: problems with apt-get ---> Evolution

On Sat, 2002-01-19 at 14:10, johan boeckx wrote:

> I have problems with apt-get, namely he blocks the dist-upgrade since
> some packets show independencies. The independencies occurs around
> evolution, namely unmet dependencies with libgal 18. From some reason he
> alway wants to install libgal 18, with message "trying to overwrite
> `/usr/share/gal/html/gal-api.sgml', which is also in package libgal19".
> So in fact I don't need libgal 18, with consequence that this package
> blocks everything. The same happens with libaspell10 : " trying to
> overwrite `/usr/share/aspell/english.dat', which is also in package
> libaspell4" : also here there is already installed a later version, but
> still he tries to install it. So what I want, is that these two packages
> are eliminated from my apt-get list. But how ? The two files are in
> dependency with evolution.

Well Im not totally sure, but you could try figureing out what packages
depend on libgal 18 and libaspell110.  Get the .debs from the archives.
Then pull a dpkg -force-depends-version After that just proceed with the
dist-upgrade.  I also remember something about divert.  I am looking for
it, but if my memory serves me, it lets you tell dpkg not to overwrite a
certain file but instead rename it to another.  Like I said I am looking
for where it is but havent found it yet.  I hope this helps some.
-Scott Henson