Re: Emacs HTML modes

On 18/01/02 Arne W. Flones did speaketh:

> Sorry, I do not run Xemacs (nor do I want to).  I run emacs only in text mode.
> Furthermore, I do *NOT* want Emacs to render HTML, I merely want to use Emacs
> to edit it without the editor making stupid decisions for me, like indenting
> text 30 characters to the right when it auto-wraps.  This worked fine on my
> Emacs 19 and 20 on my SuSE install.  It does *not* work on my Debian install.
>
> Plus, what the fsck is "External entity html not found"?
>
> Maybe the issue is the Emacs PSGML module.  I'll try uninstalling it.

    The problem is indeed with psgml-mode. HTML is a language that is defined
in SGML. psgml-mode is a generic SGML editing mode, and it is looking for the
definition of HTML, specifically it's DTD (document type definition). I
believe the DTD is only required for validation of the document, and if you
don't wish to confirm that your HTML is valid, you can safely skip it.

    Personally, I'm not currently happy with psgml-mode. I'm finding it buggy,
and I've since uninstalled it. I'll try it later after a few more revisions.
Basic html-mode provides syntax shading, but I'm told that html-helper-mode is
a little better, in that it provides macros that aid in creating HTML
documents.

    Hope this helps.

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@mcss.mcmaster.ca>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix