RE: sattellite connection for downloads

> Has anyone every tried this?
> Any comments in relation to bandwidth, configuration problems, and
> anything else are welcome.

I don't want to sound like I'm discouraging you from trying this,
because I'm not.  I just wouldn't want to see anyone burned.  :)

What I've heard from satellite users (not being one myself):

1) The download bandwidth can range from craptacular to merely
acceptable, and
2) The latency is pretty bad, basically mangling any hopes of online
gaming

Particularly about the second concern, the URL you give actually states
a delay of 500-1000ms (almost one second).  Yikes!

Also, the newest internet satellite systems are TWO-way, negating the
need for that phone-line upload.  I don't know if that's available in
Europe where you apparently live (Italy?).  Since I'm in the US, we may
be comparing apples and oranges here.  That having been said...

Are you NOT able to get DSL or cable?  That'd be the ONLY reason I'd
consider satellite, even if I already owned a dish.  It can't possibly
be "free" for THAT long, not under any good business model I can think
of.  Also, with cable or DSL, you generally don't buy the equipment,
they lease (or give) it to you -- in this country, at least.  So if they
go belly-up, you're not out money for useless hardware.

Last but not least, I would be very skeptical regarding OpenSky's claims
of "2Mbit/s" downloads on their website.  That seems like a LOT for each
user to get, out of the relatively-precious satellite bandwidth.

Sorry if this isn't exactly Debian-related, just my $0.02.  If you want
to try to get it working just to see if you CAN, I'm all for that!  :)
But for your day-to-day ISP access, I'd be wary.

Jeff Bonner