Re: eth0

also sprach Ross Burton <ross.burton@mail.com> [2002.01.18.1814 +0100]:
> A useful trick is to go into the network modules directory (e.g.
> /lib/modules/2.4.17/drivers/net I think) and running:
>
> $ strings * | grep 3c905c
>
> That will list all files containing the string "3c905c", which will in
> most cases only be the single module which supports the hardware.

definitely a good suggestion. but i wouldn't know *which* module
produced the match, would i? :)

for i in *; do strings $i | grep -q 3c905c && echo $i; done

i usually just try adding every module in turn.

however, joe: if this is an ISA card, you might need to boot to DOS and
disabled the plug-and-play mode with the setup utility that shipped with
the card.

"no, 'eureka' is greek for 'this bath is too hot.'"
                                                            -- dr. who