Re: Linux ICQ client that doesn't suck?

* Benjamin Sommerfeld (benjamin.sommerfeld@innovidata.com) [Jan 18. 2002 02:59]:

> The only possability to use ICQ these days in Linux is by using a ICQ
> Java applet on the ICQ page. http://lite.icq.com

> They changed the protocol in their new Windows Client so none of the
> old clients is usable and there's no open source implementation of the
> new protocol out yet, so there can be no usable Linux Client to this
> day.

Some Linux clients *do* work with the new/changed protocol. I know
centericq 4.5.x does, at least. I haven't had any problems with it, but
I did have problems with others (like Licq).

See:

`ICQ Development with the ickle Library'
<http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/359/>

--
Brian Clark | Debian GNU/Linux: 3950 packages to keep you busy.
Fingerprint: 07CE FA37 8DF6 A109 8119 076B B5A2 E5FB E4D0 C7C8