problems setting up 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA nic

I am having problems setting up my PCMCIA network card in woody.

I am trying to install the 2002-01-03 version of woody on a WinBook FX.
I downloaded the CD images from
ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debian-unofficial/woody
The network card is a 3Com 3C589D.  As far as I can tell, it is
supported by the 3c589_cs driver.  But when modconf is run during the
install procedure, the 3c589_cs module is not listed.

Google has led me to
http://cvs.debian.org/modconf/descr.additional?annotate=1.2, which
seems to indicate that modconf knows about the 3c589_cs module.  So
why does it not appear in the list?

--
Tom Schutter
t.schutter@att.net