Re: problems setting up 3Com 3C589D PCMCIA nic

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:54:47PM -0700, Tom Schutter wrote:
| I am having problems setting up my PCMCIA network card in woody.
|
| I am trying to install the 2002-01-03 version of woody on a WinBook FX.
| I downloaded the CD images from
| ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debian-unofficial/woody
| The network card is a 3Com 3C589D.  As far as I can tell, it is
| supported by the 3c589_cs driver.  But when modconf is run during the
| install procedure, the 3c589_cs module is not listed.
|
| Google has led me to
| http://cvs.debian.org/modconf/descr.additional?annotate=1.2, which
| seems to indicate that modconf knows about the 3c589_cs module.  So
| why does it not appear in the list?

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I've got a 3Com PCMCIA
card -- lspci calls it 3CCFEM656.  I use the "Vortex" driver; the
module is "3c59x".  I'm also using kernel 2.4.17.  (there are several
different model numbers that are identical as far as linux is
concerned, though win2k can't handle it)

-D

of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix