Removing dependancys

Ok, after spending an hour running dpkg to remove x and everything that depended on it I went back into the docs to see if I had missed any thing, and lo and behold the '-b' option reared it's head. But this just says that it will 'deconfigure' the packages that depend on it.

Just what does that mean, will the packages still be there and i'll have to remove them still or does it imply further that they will be removed as well? Also will that act recursively so that multiple levels of depends will be backed out?