parallel port reading and writing

hi folks.
forgive me for  posting just another boring message. I am building
some hardware to work in the parallel port. I want to have full control of
the parallel port control register, to use as some signal lines. In the
past two days I have been colecting information on how to use ioctl, and I
have almost succeeded. The thing is that with the LP driver, I have no
control over the control register. Can some one help me? I saw someting in
the net abut ppdev driver that lets you control de control register. How
can I replace the lp driver with the ppdev driver ?

thank you in advance