USB Printer Setup Problem

I have an Epson StylusColor 860 which I wish to use on a usb port. I compiled my 2.2.19 kernel with usb support, usb file support and usb printer. cat /proc/bus/usb/devices is emplty, cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers shows:

             hub
             usbdevfs
 0- 15: usblp

I have checked BIOS (and that other operating? system accesses the printer with no difficulty). One reference lists a long series of codes to be sent by uniprint to wake up the printer in usb mode but apt-get doesn't know about uniprint.

Is there a good stable solution to this problem?