Re: XFree 4.1 for Potato questions

Today, I wrote :

>Just recently installed XFree 4.1 debs for Potato (using C.P. Botha's
>unofficial debs). Some questions:

>* After installing the unofficial debs, I didn't get the /etc/X11/X file. Is
>it a config file or a directory, or a symlink to /usr/bin/X11/XFree (which also
>didn't exist after the install). What do I need to do?

i forgot to install the xserver-xfree package. sorry.

>* In XFree 3.3.6 I need only to enable X to listen to ports 7100 and 7101 to
>use truetype fonts, as well as install xfstt. How do I configure X to use
>true type fonts in XFree 4.x? any change in what to do?

there's no need to change anything. Just restart xfstt. Or opt for the
solution of adding the path to the TrueType fonts in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
then defining a fonts.dir file in the fonts directories (I think X has
a tool for this...). anyway, it's pretty much easier to let X listen to
ports 7100 and 7101 - though I don't know the security implications of
this. Any comments?

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com