Re: What part of X causes major display problems?

ben <benfoley@rcn.com> wrote:
> On Monday 14 January 2002 06:30 pm, Seneca Cunningham wrote:
> [snip]
> > I tried my old X3 config file, and X4 couldn't parse it... the logfile
> > says:
> >
> > 	Parse warning on line 43 of section Keyboard in file XF86Config.bak
> > 		Ignoring obsolete keyword "LeftAlt".
> > 	Parse error on line 43 of section Keyboard in file XF86Config.bak
> > 		"Meta" is not a valid keyword in this section.
> > 	(EE) Problem parsing the config file
> > 	(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
> >
> > 	Fatal server error:
> > 	no screens found
> >
> > The file that caused this problem is my X3 config file that worked
properly
> > with X3.
> >

> here's my config file that was generated with xf86config and gets parsed
by
> x4. you'll need to edit probed hardware settings to whatever your system
> needs but at least you'll be able to compare for syntax errors that x4
> doesn't like. i hope that helps.

I fixed the syntax, and I started getting the pixel-lines with my old
XF86Config file. I have attached the output of diff after fixing the syntax.
There's not much difference between the the versions of XF86Config.

Earlier I wrote that I couldn't decide who I really hated, people like you
who didn't have problems, or the people who consider it to be alright to
send out a computer with only one manual for the entire system, specifically
a tiny manual that concentrated on installing a mouse driver, and leaving
the entire section on the display a mention of the chip used in the
introduction. I have decided that I _really_ hate the people who send their
systems out with insufficient documentation.

Thanks for any help,

Seneca
seneca@slemish.com