Error compiling pcmcia modules on laptop

I don't know what I've done here. I was working fine, and decided to change a
kernel parameter. I did my make xconfig, make-kpkg clean ; make-kpkg
--revision .... and all ok.

Then I tried the modules. I've already got pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-source
installed. I've been into /usr/src/modules and run 'make config', but when I
try running debian/binary-install, or make-kpkg modules, I get several
errors, including:

  /usr/src/linux/include/linux/completion.h:30 previous declaration of
  'wait_for_completion_R02032293'
  make[2]: *** [3c575_cb.o] Error 1

I've tried confuguring the kernel with and without PCMCIA support, and
ensured that the only parameter marked as Yes is my 3COM 3c589 PCMCIA card. I
can't figure out why I'm getting errors about '3c575' and I can't find any
references in the kernel configuration. I'm running kernel 2.4.17, and the
laptop was updated from a 2.2.19pre17 potato system. I've tried uninstalling
and reinstalling pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-source, and repeating the make config ;
make and make install, and several variations, but everything I've tried so
far as always ended up with the error above at some point. What have I broken?

Dougie

.
.
.