Changing a software license

Hello..

Instead of blindly subscribing to the GNU/BSD/MIT/QT/X/etc licenses, I
thought that I'd finally read and research them and (hopefully) develop
a personal preference.  This took about a week of initial reading, and I
now feel that I can at least hold my ground in a software license
debate.  Also, now that I'm finally writing usable software, this
preliminary background will help me make educated choices when I choose
licenses for my programs/libraries.

** I don't want to get into a license debate. ** Let's just say that I
see a place for both the GPL and BSD licenses, depending on the
circumstances.

I do, however, have a question:

Say I write some origianl code (that does not use any external
libraries, programs or otherwise) and license it under the GPL or BSD
license.  As the original author of that code, can I change its license
later on or it it legally locked to its original public designation?  So
far, I've been unable to find a clear answer.  More specifically, if
this code is originally licensed as BSD and I decide to change it to
GPL, will all those who used my code in their programs be forced to
GPL-ify their work as well?  Likewise, if I move from BSD to GPL, may
developpers previously under the GPL restrictions start to take
advantage of the BSD license's extra freedoms?

cheers,
Matt