Re: OT: Rant

on Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 04:55:05PM -0600, Kent West (westk@nicanor.acu.edu) wrote:
> I know it's not appropriate to rant, especially off-topic, but I just gotta!
>
> I really miss WordPerfect! And I wish there were some open-source
> software that did what it does.
>
> For example, Reveal Codes, and being able to find and remove that
> offending font change, or table definition, etc.

Any tag-based language is essentially the same thing.  Frankly, LaTeX,
DocBook, or other SGML DTD are going to be largely equivalent.  The main
difference is that you rarely drop to a "don't reveal codes" view
(though this *is* generally possible).

> And being able to have Left Justified, Center Justified, and Right
> Justified text all on the same line, so you don't have to throw in a
> bunch of spaces to get everything to (maybe) line up.

I'll add myself to the list of those confused by this comment.

> And the column and table functions.

Supported in most markup languages.

> And the ability to have a caption on an image that doesn't insist on
> including the text "Illustration 1".

Ditto.

> The power of WordPerfect is what a Linux-er wants, with the ease of
> operation that an MS-er needs. (I was an MS-er; a three-year Linux-er
> now, but still can't run Tex or even LyX, and the other stuff I've tried
> just doesn't have the power/features.)
>
> Why oh why won't Corel release the old DOS version into the open source
> world?

Well, there are copies floating around.  My own story is that I picked
up WP 5.2 from a friend, on original floppies, to accompany the manual
I'd drug around for about seven years.  What I discovered was...it
wasn't the same as it had been.  Sure, I can fire it up under dosemu or
xdosemu, but...it just doesn't appeal.  Over the years, I've lost most
of the muscle memory I once had, and the restriction to 24 or 30-odd
lines of text is a punishment (my current rxvt session has 80 lines).

Too, the DOS version doesn't interact particularly well with the
GNU/Linux environment.  You're restricted to working under DOS, and
interacting only with the DOS partition.  Haven't tried it under WINE.

Note that Corel _did_ (does?) have a Unix-native version, including a
console mode (not available, AFAIK, in the WP8 which was made generally
available for GNU/Linux).  This would seem to be the program you're
looking for.  What the availability of this program is I don't know.

> (Yes, I could purchase the commercial version of Corel Office, but a
> Wine-ified version just doesn't seem kosher, not to mention that this
> would have to come out of my own pocket since the workplace doesn't
> smile friendly yet on Linux, so for now I'm without WP.)

...well...  I have to say I can't sympathize.  If you're going to pine
after proprietary software, then be willing to shell out for it.

> Why won't Abiword and Star/Open Office import .wpd docs (actually,
> Abiword seems to at least get the text, but not the formatting)?

Probably because it's a really small target, and WP natively supports
.DOC.  Though you could file a wishlist (I'm sure it exists).

Peace.

We freed Dmitry! Boycott Adobe! Repeal the DMCA! http://www.freesklyarov.org