Re: LaTeX problem

on Wed, 16 Jan 2002 12:21:05AM -0500, dman insinuated:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:00:52AM -0500, Glen Snyder wrote:
> | I'm using LaTeX from the Woody distro....there seems to be a bug (or I
> | am doing something wrong). If I use \documentclass{article} and then use
> | \pagestyle{empty} , it still insists on putting a page number on the
> | bottom of the first page (although numbers are not on subsequent pages)
> | when I generate a dvi.
>
> I don't understand why this is, but I have recently found that if you
> put
>
> \thispagestyle{empty}
>
> in the first page it won't have a page number.  Depending on the
> contents of the page, it seems that it needs to appear shortly before
> the end of it (ie a \clearpage command).

not in my experience -- i begin almost every .tex file i write with

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{times}
\usepackage{geometry}

\geometry{tmargin=1in,bmargin=1in}

\title{TITLE}
\author{Nori Heikkinen}

\begin{document}
\thispagestyle{empty}
\maketitle

so \thispagestyle{empty} is before any text actually occurs ...

but that *is* weird that the first page needs a specific call to be
empty -- i guess i just always use numbers, except on the first page,
so it made sense to me.

</nori>

-------------------------http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori/jnl/daily.html