Re: eql = tun + eth0

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 crispin@iinet.net.au wrote:
> In TCP/IP we only have control of our outgoing traffic. Thus your
> connections will be set up via one or the other. Say your wireless
> device is 128k and your modem is 56k. With this sort of primative
> balancing you initiate a download. It comes down at 56k. It doesn't get
> any faster. Then you start another. It comes in at 128K with the first
> still going at 56K. You will *never* get a 184K download. Each
> connection is identified by its source and dest ip's and your IP's are
> different.

I think that would be OK, as long as I can utilize both links; say, web
traffic via the wireless link, and the other via the modem.

I have take a look into iproute doc, and to have two default routes is
as simple as:
ip route add default nexthop eth0 nexthop ppp0

Question is, really?
I read somewhere on the Net that by having that configuration, you'd get
outgoing traffic via both devices, but incoming via the first one.

Would it be easier just to split the traffic according to the protocols?
Say, email through eth0 and web through the ppp0. Maybe the use of the
links wouldn't be that optimal, but at least I can get some additional
bandwidth. But what about that "default route"; how can I set it up after
I split the traffic?

Oki