Re: Large file sizes (2+Gb)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:43:29PM -0800, Cassandra Ludwig wrote:
> I haven't tried Coda... I will try it, when I can figure out how to set it
> up on the server :-)
>
> But I just found (through a quick test, just to see) that if I use smbclient
> from the server, I can grab the file off the windows machine, but that just
> seems ridiculous having to do that for every file...  I know I can transfer
> the files back and forth between windows machines, so this looks like a bug
> of samba...
>
> Regards,
>     Cassandra

You can get the files from:

http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/linux/debian/ [debs for arm and i386]

or go to http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu for installation instructions
for apt-get and the like..

I just looked in the kernel documentation and it said:

  struct coda_vattr {
          enum coda_vtype va_type;        /* vnode type (for create) */
          u_short         va_mode;        /* files access mode and type */
          short           va_nlink;       /* number of references to file */
          vuid_t          va_uid;         /* owner user id */
          vgid_t          va_gid;         /* owner group id */
          long            va_fsid;        /* file system id (dev for now) */
          long            va_fileid;      /* file id */
          u_quad_t        va_size;        /* file size in bytes */
          long            va_blocksize;   /* blocksize preferred for i/o */
          struct timespec va_atime;       /* time of last access */
          struct timespec va_mtime;       /* time of last modification */
          struct timespec va_ctime;       /* time file changed */
          u_long          va_gen;         /* generation number of file */
          u_long          va_flags;       /* flags defined for file */
          dev_t           va_rdev;        /* device special file represents */
          u_quad_t        va_bytes;       /* bytes of disk space held by file */
          u_quad_t        va_filerev;     /* file modification number */
          u_int           va_vaflags;     /* operations flags, see below */
          long            va_spare;       /* remain quad aligned */
  };

and especially this line:

 u_quad_t        va_size;        /* file size in bytes */

and in include/linux/coda.h this is defined as long long - in nut shell a 64 bit integer.
So the size limit for file size is about 17 billion GB!! But CODA is still
experiemental when it comes to file transfers so I would suggest making a MD5 checksum
or something b/f and check after you trasnfer to the server just in case something breaks.

But it might just work.. Besides Coda, there don't look like there are many network FS that support
more than 2GB limit [except the NFS v.3 kernel server] But then Windows doesn't support
NFS v.3.....

Hope this helps,
Adam