Debian "kernel-reboot"(?)

Hi!

I'm having some problems with Debian, and I'm hoping that someone can
help me out.
The problem I'm having is that when I'm using X (think it's X specific,
haven't tried the console yet) for about an hour and a half up to two-
three hours, the computer gives me the sort of beep it makes when I'm
doing "shutdown -r now" and after a few seconds X shuts down and I'm
right back at the login prompt.

I'm running Debian unstable, last time updated was today, home-compiled
kernel 2.4.17, XFree 4.0.1 and NVIDIAs drivers.
I'm currently trying to compile and earlier kernel to see if the problem
persists, although I seem to have some problems with that but I hope
I can find some other kernel that can compile successfully.

Thanks in advance,
Tobias Bengtsson