Re: exim error messages Reply-to From

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 03:16:14PM -0600, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
| How can I get exim to send error and non-deliverable messages
| to the Reply-to address instead of the From address?  I assume
| this would be done in the exim.conf file but am not sure how
| to accomplish this?

Error messages go to neither the From: nor Reply-To: addresses.  They
go to the "MAIL FROM:" address (sometimes called the "envelope
sender").  Picture it this way:  you take out a sheet of paper and
write a letter on it.  At the top of it you write that is is from you,
but a response should be sent to your other address.  Now you take
that paper, fold it, and put it in an envelope.  On the envelope you
put the recipients address and your return address.  If there is a
problem, is the post office going to open the envelope and see that
you want responses sent to a different address?  The correct solution
is to put the proper return address on the envelope.  For email this
means setting the right "envelope sender".

What is currently being set as the envelope sender (given in the "MAIL
FROM:" SMTP command)?  What do you want it to be?

-D

--

In his heart a man plans his course,
but the Lord determines his steps.