Re: Debian, FHS & /floppy

Hello,
On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 04:33:16AM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > earth make all the Debian-versions the mount-points of removable media
> > > in the root directory instead of /mnt/, which is the required standard
> > i consider /mnt/{cdrom,floppy} a redhat sickness. first of all, please
> > show me where the FHS supposedly dictates those two mount points into
> > /mnt?
> > then, look at section 3.11:
> >   "/mnt : Mount point for a temporarily mounted filesystem"
> > and that's exactly what it's for. so you can mount a filesystem
> > what do others think?
> what seemed to me to be a clear prohibition against putting anything
> into / (root) that is not specifically mentioned in the FHS. It does
> give a little wriggle room since it is "directories" that are
> prohibited, not "mount points". But I'm not impressed by my own wriggle.
> It would allow unlimited additions to /, so long as the addition is a
> mount point for a separate partition as opposed to an ordinary
> directory. This is clearly a silly distinction.
> So I'll suggest a rephrasing of the original question:
> Why does the FHS containing wording which appears to prohibit placing
> mount points in / ? Mount points really are directories, aren't they?
> And directories are prohibited.
Reading you answers, I realized that the FHS is really ambigous
concerning this question. It clearly says that /mnt is a mountpoint for
_a_ temporally mounted partition, and not a dir for mountpoints, but on
the other hand it prohibits creating additional dirs in / -- with an
argumantations which seems to speak only against dirs with content on
the root-partition and not against mountpoints.

Granted that the interpretation of FHS is problematic, I would say that
it is a strange supposition that one could have only one temp. mounted
device at one time. The other problem in my opinion is the probable
overpopulation of the /, if we put all the mountpoints of removable
media there: one could have /cdrom, /floppy1, /floppy2, /cdrw /zip etc.
The whole point of using a directory hierarchy is the ability of
grouping similar things together. An other point that I as a purist
like all the machines I administer to have the same dirs at least on the
highest level. :-)

Regards: Andras