Re: Palm pilot problems

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 10:28:43PM -0500, Scott Henson wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 17:13, Jerome Acks Jr wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 09:50:29PM -0500, Scott Henson wrote:
> > > Im trying to get my palm m125 to sync with my computer.  I am having
> > > trouble.  I have read the How-tos on this subject and followed them, but
> > > I can not get the infernal thing to sync.  I am useing woody along with
> > > ximian gnome.

[snip]

> > One of FAQs on Linux USB (http://www.linux-usb.org/) indicates problems syncing
> > newer Palms with pilot-link. gnome-pilot depends on libpisock4 as does
> > pilot-link. libpisock4 has bug filed against it
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=120459&repeatmerged=yes
> >
> > Can you successfully sync with coldsync?
>
> I tried coldsync and it didnt work.  It wouldnt recognize the palm
> pilot.  I have the visor module loaded, but its not working.  I am kinda
> stuck on this one.  According to everything I have read something should
> be working.  I have the stuff linked to /dev/pilot and /dev/palm, but it
> is not working at all.  Any help yould be apreaciated.  Thanks
> Scott Henson

I sync a visor on a USB cradle and use jpilot, so some generic USB sync
stuff only. /dev/pilot and dev/palm should be symbolic links
to /dev/ttyUSB1. If /dev/ttyUSB1 doesn't work, also try /dev/ttyUSB0.
Permissions on these need to be 0666 unless you've added yourself to the
group that owns them or sync as root.

These devices won't be valid until after you press the hotsync button. So you
need to press the hotsync button and then tell PC software to sync.
When you press hot sync button, you should get messages in
/var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log, and /var/log/syslog about USB
devices being registered. The messages in the three logs are slightly
different, so check all three for errors. If you have enabled devusbfs,
you should also be able to cat files in /proc/bus/usb/ for information.

When I last tried coldsync, I recall having to use "coldsync -p
/dev/ttyUSB1 ..." to get it to connect.

I've had problems syncing when I loaded the wrong uhci module by mistake.

linux-usb.org doesn't report success syncing Palms via USB. Before buying
my visor about a month ago, I looked through a number of mail lists for
problems syncing though USB. I didn't see any problems reported for
Palms that looked like they were succsessfully resolved. If you have IR
port, try syncing through that. I've also synced Palms successfully
through COM port, you may need to invest in serial sync cradle.

Sorry to finish on down note. I hope the earlier stuff helps.
--
Jerome