Re: Fwd: Debian Won't Install! (System Locks Up)

Adam wrote:

> BTW, what release are you installing? stable? testing?

I installed "Woody" at the advice of the list, previously;
since it was possible that the console problem had been
fixed.  I've heard on the Red Hat list, people that said
they would rather be using Debian, but that their video
card is incompatible with it.

Anyway, what you say here brings up another thing:

I HAVE A DREAM: to someday be rid of my pernicious
dependence on GUI's!!!

I used to use a Z-80 CP/M system, (Remember DDT? "Kills
Bugs dead!" ;-)  I was more productive on that system,
using the simple text-based tools it had, than I have ever
been in Windows.  Then, I believed that it was an
"inalienable right" that a person receives development
tools along with the OS, *whatever* OS it is.

But then I was taken by a long-term illness; and now I come
back to the world of computers, and find EEEEVIL: WINDOWS!
AAAAAAAARGH!  Now, everything is different.  You can't even
print a list of your files from Windows!  What is THAT all
about?

I want to do Email and all, from console.  So that when X
screws up, I don't have to worry about my mailbox
overflowing at my provider (who makes the mailbox fill
faster by sending me "notifications" that my mailbox is
going to overflow! ;-)

I've used lynx; so what else should I know about?  What's a
good Email client?  How I can I figure out "the Debian way"
of doing the usual tasks, from the console?  (Play CD's,
for instance, or listen to Internet radio, or MP3's, all of
that).

I would appreciate any & all ideas.

Thanks!

--Mark VII