Re: Fwd: Debian Won't Install! (System Locks Up)

Mark Seven Smith <pampaluz@home.com> writes:

> Heh.
>
> I've been offline all this time; I still *CRINGE* at the
> thought of what I did to my Red Hat installation, so I
> won't go into it (YIKES!) but I was stuck with having to
> get Debian up & running--I tried everything!  But nothing
> worked.  So, I put in an old Cirrus Logic card, with a
> whole megabyte of video RAM (the thing makes weird blotches
> on the screen when I move the mouse over title bars and
> such, really a pain, something's damaged on the card), so
> now I am going to be stuck with this card for now with
> Debian.
[snip]
> I am going to find a way to trade this card in with some
> computer store (Computer Depot and others take trade-ins)
> but I want to know: what's a good video card that WORKS
> WELL WITH DEBIAN?  I want 64 megs of video RAM, I figure;

How did you come up with that number?  That's major overkill unless
you're gonna be playing 3-D games with lots of huge textures...

> and to *hopefully* spend around $50+ dollars (I'll go to
> $100-$120 or so for a good all-around card if it will GIVE
> ME NO MORE VIDEO HARDWARE PAINS!!! :-)

Matrox cards have nice open source drivers.  Nvidia cards work very
well, but for 3-D acceleration, you'll need nvidia's closed source
drivers.  I haven't heard much about ATI cards in linux, but I'd assume
they have decent drivers as well.

All those brands have cards in your price range and should work well
enough for you.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>