Re: Is anyone using woody in a production environment?

john wrote:

>Hello everyone!
>
>We have come to a point where we would like to use some software that is
>currently in woody on a production server that is currently running
>potato.

Like what software? Maybe some Debian maintainer has made some unofficial
debs for these software? Make some effort to find these packages. Google
is your friend. However, when you use other packages other than those
sanctioned by Debian, you might compromise your system.

>Now we have a few approaches as I see it:
>
>1) We install the packages from upstream source into /usr/local/
>
>OK, we're talking about openssl, curl-ssl, perl, libssl, apache,
>apache-ssl, php etc. Might  be a nightmare to maintain in the future.
>And since we'll be selling boxes with all this set up on them it's going
>to make things much more expensive for us.

I got a copy of the unofficial CDs from fsn.hu. They have some fairly
recent versions of these ssl-enabled software that were backported from
Sid to Potato. I suggest you try get these CD's for they might have what
you are looking for.

>2) We upgrade to testing.
>
>Is it safe? <image of Marathon Man>. Who is running production servers
>on testing? what if any issues have arisen?

I've even got a friend who runs Sid on a production environment with a 2.4
kernel. He manages to get it through very smoothly, and I really wonder how
he tamed that crazy distro w/c is even wilder than woody. But he still
maintains a Potato with 2.2 kernel as the main server.

But still, for production environment, I recommend to stick with Potato for
absolute stability (well, almost... but at least you get less worries)

>3) We build the Debian packages from testing on stable.
>
>I've tried this, and either got it wrong <quite likely> or it just
>doesn't work like that as build curl-ssl then wants perl, which doesnt
>want libdbi-perl. It wants a libc6 upgrade. Which might (will it?) break
>other things etc etc.
>
>Any advice as to how to best manage this is appreciated - I'm
>particularly interested in the opinions of anyone who has actually
>_done_ this sort of thing.
>
>Is there a safe and stable way to build/install woody packages onto a
>potato system other than to dist-upgrade to woody?

There is, but it takes lots of tweaking of file dependencies. AS IN LOTS.
But with all the effort, it's not really a good road ahead. I know for I
did this a lot in the past. But not on production environments - I only do
that on my Potato box at home. Tweaking the file dependencies was the only
way to make my own custom Debian packages for Mozilla 0.9.7, Galeon 1.0,
XMovie et.al to work with Potato. So to avoid too much hardships, try
looking for the unofficial packages or try the fsn.hu unofficial CD's et.al.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com