Re: Re: Debian Vs RedHat

Alec wrote:

>On Thursday 10 January 2002 06:19 pm, martin f krafft wrote:
>> also sprach Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2002.01.10.1834 +0100]:
>> > Does the RPM build process have an equivalent of dpkg-shlibdeps?
>>
>> only since recently... but in general, RPM and DEB are really
>> functionally equivalent. RPM *is* a good packaging system, it's other
>> things which make .rpm based systems suck (read my next post).
>
>If RPM is good, why did Debian project feel compelled to create dpkg?

That time, RPM wasn't good enough (in short, it sucked big time then
when it comes to the issue of maintainance and automatic dependencies
resolution during distribution upgrades). As well as the plethora of
duplicate work with no visible guidelines to conform to (unlike Debian's).
Not so much now, as the guys at RedHat improved the RPM software.

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com