Re: RAID repartitioning - SOLVED

Hi guys,

In the end my RAID-5 repartitioning problem was quite simple...

>From the cfdisk manpage:

       W      Write partition table to disk (must enter an  upper
              case  W).   Since  this  might  destroy data on the
              disk, you must either confirm or deny the write  by
              entering `yes' or `no'.  If you enter `yes', cfdisk
              will write the partition table to disk and the tell
              the  kernel to re-read the partition table from the
              disk.  The re-reading of the partition table  works
              is  most  cases,  but  I  have seen it fail.  Don't
              panic.  It will be correct  after  you  reboot  the
->             system.   In all cases, I still recommend rebooting
->            the system--just to be safe.    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              ^^^^^^^^^^

Having been totally spoilt by Debian, I have completely got out of the
habit of rebooting any machine if it can be avoided.  In this case I
thought it could, but it couldn't.  I needed to reboot after
repartitioning (using cfdisk) and before mkraid.  Having done this, I was
able to mkraid, mke2fs and transfer all my data.  Happiness and bliss.

Thanks for the suggestions; I will definitely look into the software I was
pointed to.

Have a nice weekend,

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |