Re: gphoto2 with USB digital camera problem

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:08:37AM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> I bought a digital still-image camera today (Canon PowerShot G2) and I
> want my Linux machine to talk to it. So far, after a few hours of trying
> to get it to work, and searching docs and the net for information, I'm
> not having much luck.
>
> I have the gphoto2 package installed. gphoto2 complains that it can't
> find the device:
>
> $gphoto2 --camera "Canon PowerShot G2" --port usb: --get-all-images
> gPhoto2 reported the error 'Could not find the requested device on the USB port'
>
> Meanwhile, in /var/log/messages, I see the following occurring every
> time I turn the camera on while it's plugged into the USB port:
>
> kernel: hub.c: USB new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number 3
> kernel: usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x4a9/0x3055) is not claimed by any active driver.

Don't worry about this message. You don't need a 'kernel' module for
gphoto2. It uses libusb0 (a user-space library) to access your usb
device.

For my digital camera, I use the following command line:

   gphoto2 --camera "Canon DIGITAL IXUS v" --port usb -P

So we are doing the same except the ':' after usb. Try without it.

But I use a home made gphoto2 package. If you still can't use your
camera with gphoto2, let me know I can my quick_and_dirty package.

Good luck,
Christophe